• Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski
  • Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski
  • Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski
  • Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski - 1
  • Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski - 2
  • Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski - 3

Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski

1st half of the 18th c.
Object type
78,5 x 60,2 cm
Acquisition date
The Palace on the Isle - Bacchus Room, ground floor
Marks and inscriptions
red number 971 of the Stanisław August collection, bottom right
Place of Origin
Poland (Europe)
The Royal Łazienki
Museum number
ŁKr 947
More parametrów obiektu

Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski (1642–1702), Marshal of the Crown 1676–1702,Court Marshal of the Crown 1673–76; poet, philosopher; from 1676 owner of the Ujazdów estate, where he had a bathing pavilion built, known as the Bathhouse, designed by Tilman van Gameren, which was later extended by King Stanisław August into the Łazienki Palace. The portrait most probably belonged to the Lubomirskis ancestral gallery in Ujazdów Castle. …

In 19th-century archival sources and the literature the painting was described as the work of an unknown artist. …

The sitter holds a marshal’s baton which was probably made for him in 1683, and which has been preserved to this day in the collections of the Princes Czartoryski in Kraków … . The ferrule in the upper part bears a white eagle beneath a crown. The portrait may be an 18th-century copy of the original made during Lubomirski’s lifetime. [See D. Juszczak, H. Małachowicz, The Stanisław August Collection of Paintings at the Royal Łazienki. Catalogue, Royal Łazienki Museum, Warsaw 2016, no. 125, pp. 458–460.]

Read more